Research Engineer (mmWave / Radio Frequency)
Greenerwave is a rapidly growing France/Paris-based deeptech startup developing products based on electronically reconfigurable metasurfaces and wavefront shaping, for satellite communications, 5G, automotive radars and IoT. The company brings innovative solutions to the market bridging fundamental research, applied engineering and industry. Greenerwave is a spin off from French CNRS and ESPCI Paris, and is supported by industrial partners, research grants and venture capitals. It has strong acknowledgement and support from leading space, telecommunication and industrial companies.
As a research engineer you will be a part of the strong team developing antennas and imaging systems based on electronically tunable metasurfaces/reflectarrays and wave control, with a special focus on millimeter wave ranges (10-100GHz). This includes applications for satellite communications, 5G, automotive radar and related. You will be involved in the whole process, from designing new metasurfaces (including simulations, characterization, algorithms), to implementation of these devices in the final applications.
The candidate must have a PhD in Physics or electrical engineering, a strong background in electromagnetism, and a very good knowledge of the concepts of reflectarrays/metasurfaces, preferably electronically reconfigurable and/or of electronically reconfigurable antenna and antenna arrays. The candidate should also have expertise in designing mmWave devices (preferably tunable) and evaluating their properties.
- Develop, design, simulate, fabricate and measure reflectarrays and reconfigurable intelligent surfaces (metasurfaces) in the mmWave range (Ku, K, Ka, W etc).
- Bring your expertise in mmWave design to other team members and help solve problems related to this specialty.
- Exchange with the hardware and software part for integration of the developments in a general roadmap.
- As part of a research team, take part of the design of the overall system either by planning, design, measurement or characterization.
- Present regular progress reports to members of the research team and the industry partners.
- Carry out if required, supervisions of the company interns/engineers.
- take responsibilities in customer paid R&D projects and ensure that project is completed on time and within budget (including organisation of project meetings and documentation, risk assessment of research activities, etc).
- Keep abreast of new developments in own specialism and related research areas/disciplines.
- Propose ideas for patent applications.
- Be creative in general and bring ideas to the rest of the team, regarding technology, applications, markets.
- A PhD in an Electrical/Electronic engineering (RF/Microwave related subject area).
- Experience in RF/Microwave antenna and/or metasurfaces and reflectarray design, with a focus on mmWave.
- Good knowledge of antenna/antenna arrays/reflect arrays properties, understanding of digital beamforming and communications systems.
- Profound knowledge in numerical simulations tools such as CST or HFSS. Experience in using active elements.
- Hands-on Experience in conducting measurements and characterization of RF/mmWave devices and circuits and antennas using measurement equipment such as vector network analysers, spectrum analysers, signal generators, power meters, anechoic chamber etc.
- Good knowledge of MATLAB or Python.
- Good knowledge in microwave/electronic circuits theory and techniques.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English.
- Good communication skills, able to present effectively to the members of research team and customers.
- Knowledge in RFIC/MMIC and integrated circuits.
- Knowledge of metamaterials and metasurfaces, reconfigurable reflect arrays and smart reflectors.
- Component level RF/microwave and IF analogue circuit design.
- Understanding of satellite comms (GEO, LEO), 5G and beyond.
- Hands-on experience in sample prototyping (3D-printing, laser machining etc).
- If from academia: a publication record demonstrating the PhD outcome.
- If from industry: experience in similar projects.
- Patents record.
- Experience in writing reports and funding proposal.
- Experience in managing research projects.
- Knowledge of GIT, Linux.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING SKILLS:
- Plan research programs and carefully align them with the work packages carried out by the research team in order to achieve an effective and productive synergy.
- Plan for the use of research resources, laboratories and workshops where appropriate, in order to ensure that facilities are available at required times.
- Plan own day-to day activity within framework of the agreed research program.
- Coordinate and liaise with other members of the research team over work progress.
- Liaise on a regular basis with colleagues, and partners from academia.
- Establish professional and good working relationships with technical and other support staff as well as the industry partners.
- Competitive salary, equity.
- Interesting tasks naturally combining research and engineering activities. You will be developing a product which shortly goes to the world market, based world-class level academic research.
- Taking part in various projects at all phases of engineering.
- Availability of constant learning and improving knowledge, fast professional growth.
- Working in a dynamic startup environment in a friendly international team of young professionals and high-level experts, communication with partners worldwide.
- Office in the center of Paris.
- Participating in scientific conferences.